Spaces in the Library
We strive to make all of our spaces welcoming and inclusive. Please let us know how we can do better.
On 1st floor across from the coffee shop, find good books and interesting magazines recommended by MSU students, faculty, and staff. Accessible via the front entrance. Furniture available: large comfy chairs, height adjustable table with a computer and printer, high-top tables with stools.
The basement, 1st floor & 2nd floor are our "active study" spaces, self-regulated study spaces for groups and individuals that supports active learning, discussion, interaction, and noise from conversation, technology, and equipment. Public computers are available on all levels with the majority on 1st floor & 2nd floor. Accessible via the ramp or lift on 1st floor, or the public elevator. Furniture available: Long study tables, chairs on wheels, desktop computer stations, large comfy chairs.
The 3rd floor & 4th floor are quiet spaces to work alone or around others and/or to relax. Please respect the quiet. Accessible via the public elevator. Furniture available: Large single use desks with dividers, long tables suitable for multiple users, chairs on wheels and 'sled' chairs. 10 public computers on the 3rd floor. 8 public computers on the 4th floor.
Virtual Discovery Space
Partitioned area on 1st floor. Contains a large screen useful for basics presentations and instruction or engaging in virtual reality and immersive visualization environments.Accessible via the ramp or lift on 1st floor. Furniture available: Open floor space with chairs or stools.
This space is undergoing some changes. Details will be updated in September of 2023.
Reservable Study Spaces
Reserve one of our library study spaces. Rooms are on the 1st, 2nd, and 4th floors and tables are on the 2nd floor.
MSU Students, Faculty, & Staff / Anyone with a NetID and password. Others please inquire at the Library Service Desk for options.
The Library Classroom
The Heathcote Classroom (pronounced "HETH cutt") is a classroom with 28 networked computers, including two accessible computer stations, located in the basement. It is accessible via the public elevator. Furniture available: desktop computers on long tables with chairs on wheels.
Reservable by: Faculty & Staff
Office on the 2nd floor, next to SmartyCats tutoring. The GEAR UP program is dedicated to providing support and services to first-year students from Montana’s GEAR UP schools. Accessible via the public elevator.
Testing ServicesThe Testing Services center is located in the Basement. They provide a wide range of academic and professional exams to students and the public, including testing administration for MSU students with accommodations. Accessible via the public elevator.
UIT Service Desk
Office on 1st floor. Your starting point for tech assistance. Accessible via the ramp or lift on 1st floor.
Our building has some issues including a split-level 1st floor, which makes accessibility more difficult. For more information on physical accessibility, as well as accessibility software, technology, and accessibility of digital library content, please visit our page on Accessibility in the Library.
The Library is committed to making our spaces and services accessible to all users, and we know we can do better. Please let us know how we can improve.
Distraction-free study spaces include:
- 3rd and 4th floor individual study carrel desks with side walls that reduce visible distractions.
- Reservable Study Spaces are available for student use, including semi-enclosed rooms for limited-distraction on the first floor and second floors. One enclosed study room is available on the 4th floor.
- Most library spaces have overhead florescent lighting.
- The first floor Browse area has two movable, task-reading lights.
- The 3rd floor study area near the fountain has an opaque overhead skylight offering more natural light depending on the weather.
- There are windows on the north side of first, second, and third floors.
Our Library Floor and Location Guide gives the location of books, periodicals, and other library resources by subject and call number ranges for each floor.
Bathroom, Toilet, Water Closet, Wash Room, Lavatory, The Loo.
- Gendered restrooms are available near the elevator on the 2nd floor and 3rd floor and in the basement, and are accessible via the public elevator. There are no restrooms on 1st floor or 4th floor.
- Single-stall gender neutral restrooms are available on the North-East side of 2nd floor and 3rd floor and are accessible via the public elevator. However, they are not ADA compliant.
For information on where physical technology is located in the library including copiers, printers, scanners and tech-checkouts, visit our Technology Services page.
Take our Virtual Tour which gives you 360° views of the many spaces in the library along with descriptions of our resources and services. Also, check out our accompanying, accessible text document describing the tour's content.