Mission, Vision, Values, and Strategic Plan
The library's mission is to facilitate student and faculty success by providing access to information and knowledge.
We are a progressive research library, integral and committed to student success and the research enterprise of MSU.
Teaching and Learning
- Partner with faculty to develop innovative teaching spaces and programs
- Continually adapt learning environments to facilitate creativity and collaboration
- Advance digital scholarship and research computing
- Create broader access to primary source collections
Research services (raise the stature of MSU’s research enterprise)
- Increase the visibility and use of faculty and student scholarship
- Develop services to support researchers
- Conduct research and implement locally to advance the library profession
Engagement (make statewide access to information sources the best it can be)
- Implement statewide discovery technologies
- Form a consortium to negotiate with vendors
- Implement a Unified Resource Management system to streamline workflow
- Coordinate statewide collection development for broader access
Administrative Values Statement
Values are those abstract ideals that guide attitudes, actions, and interpersonal relations. Our values govern conduct and render our work useful and desirable and are implicit in each of the library's administrative goals.
As part of Montana State University, the MSU Library endorses, and will embody in itself, MSU's institutional values of:
- intellectual integrity;
- freedom of inquiry and expression;
- equal dignity of persons and the right to freedom from harassment, intimidation and discrimination;
- the meshing of equity and access with quality;
- consultative faculty governance.
In addition, trust and respect are key values. Recognizing these values, The Library will foster and support among its staff:
- a commitment to quality service and programs;
- openness, discussion, and communication;
- fairness and equality;
- cooperation and adaptability;
- civility and courtesy;
and foster a working environment in which library staff:
- contribute ideas freely;
- are innovative and creative;
- assume responsibility;
- confidently engage change;
- enjoy and take pride in their work.