Library Service Updates
The Library building is currently minimally staffed, but it is not yet open to the public. To communicate with us please use our Ask the Library service or phone (406) 994-3139 Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. to talk to a staff member. Any materials needing to be returned can be deposited in the return slot at the front doors.
DUE DATE CHANGES - The due date for many library items currently checked out by undergraduate and graduate students will be changed from Friday, May 8 to Monday, August 31 at noon. The library’s return drop is always open and items can be returned there at any time. Due dates for technology checkouts will not been changed. Please get in touch with the library via the Ask the Library webpage for assistance related to tech items. http://ask.lib.montana.edu/
In order to respect social distancing and help protect public health, the MSU Library building is closed until further notice. The Library will continue to support the information needs of our students, faculty, and staff in an online environment by focusing on the following:
- Continuing to provide access to electronic resources and other materials online
- Continuing to provide online reference and research support
- Delivering online services for Special Collections and Archives
- Maintaining the library’s website
- Supporting MSU faculty, staff, and students in remote teaching and learning
- Ask the Library:http://ask.lib.montana.edu/
- Offers an online chat feature and other ways to contact the library.
- Ask the Library email contact form: https://www.lib.montana.edu/forms/email.html
- Text Us! @ 406-962-0756
- Request book and audio-visual materials loans - The MSU Library will loan physical materials from the circulating collection to MSU affiliated users. To request a loan, after logging into CatSearch, select “Place Hold” in an item’s record. You will have the option to pick the item up curbside at the Library or we can mail it to you.
- Interlibrary loans (ILL) - Electronic interlibrary loan of items currently available in digital format will continue. Delivery of items requiring scanning will be suspended. Physical interlibrary loan is suspended.
- MSU Library Special Collections - Special Collections has switched to an online-only service mode.
All requests for service can be directed to email@example.com .
- Return Physical Items, Due Dates, and Fines -
The book drop at the front doors of the library building will remain in place, and we will be accepting returns of physical items there. Returned items will be quarantined.
You may also mail your items back to the library:
U.S. Mail: Montana State University Library, P.O. box 173320, Bozeman, MT 59717-3320.
UPS or FedEx: Montana State University Library, 144 Renne Library, Centennial Mall, Bozeman, MT 59717-3320.
Due dates for many items are being extended and we will be waiving overdue fines that accrue for items specifically due during this period (including items requested via Interlibrary Loan) for the duration of the building closure.
During this time of uncertainty we remain committed to helping faculty, staff, and students access and apply information. Below are links to library resources to help users with off-site access.
- Using and discovering library resources: https://www.lib.montana.edu/services/information-access/discover/
- CatSearch, MSU Library's discovery platform that provides a single access point to most of the Library's collections: https://guides.lib.montana.edu/catsearch-help
- Accessing library resources while off campus: https://www.lib.montana.edu/services/information-access/discover/off-campus-access/
- NEW! Library Research and Instruction Guide, containing timely information to assist with faculty and student access to library resources during the transition to online learning: https://guides.lib.montana.edu/libraryresearch
- Discover library resources with Google Scholar & across the web: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gglVycqALN4&feature=emb_logo
- Online resources: https://www.lib.montana.edu/resources/
- Online resource shortcut: https://www.lib.montana.edu/online-resources-shortcut/
- Montana Library 2 Go, offering many resources including eBooks:https://guides.lib.montana.edu/Library2Go
- New York Times:https://guides.lib.montana.edu/ny-times
- Acoustic Atlas: relieve stress by taking some time to listen to the sounds of nature at the Acoustic Atlas
Please contact us for more information.