Library Service Updates
The MSU Library is open to the public. View hours.
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the library has conducted a space analysis and developed a recommendation for the maximum number of people to be allowed in various zones in the building at any given time, in accordance with state and local directives. The building has been determined to have a 650 person capacity in its public areas (a 45% reduction in seating).
Operating practices are modified to the following:
- Staff and the public are required to wear cloth face masks or face coverings when in the library building. Please wear a mask at all times, including when you are studying alone.
- All existing computers will be available for library users with many of them relocated within the building to enable appropriate distancing.
- The 1st and 3rd floor study rooms are closed indefinitely due to non-compliance with face-covering and maximum occupancy requirements by some using the rooms.
- Select high-use areas are sanitized multiple times per day.
- We are communicating healthy practices to be modeled by library patrons and staff in the building through messaging on posters, signs, flyers and spoken communication directly with people in the building.
- We are providing users with cleaning and sanitizing products, within the limit of available supplies, should they wish to clean areas themselves prior to or after use. Products are located on Sanitizing Stations on each floor.
- Select technical equipment is be unavailable for checkouts, including headphones and virtual reality equipment.
- We have canceled high-risk, high-volume programs and events.
- We have arranged furniture in open public areas to enable social distancing.
- Our two classrooms are open in according to MSU guidelines for appropriate classroom capacities. Maximum capacity in both classrooms is 12 individuals.
- Printing services are available.
The Library will continue to support the information needs of our students, faculty, and staff in an online environment by focusing on the following:
- Continuing to provide access to electronic resources and other materials online
- Continuing to provide online reference and research support
- Delivering online services for Archives and Special Collections
- Maintaining the library’s website
- Supporting MSU faculty, staff, and students in remote teaching and learning
- Accessibility Services
- Ask the Library:http://ask.lib.montana.edu/
- Offers an online chat feature and other ways to contact the library.
- Ask the Library email contact form: https://www.lib.montana.edu/forms/email.html
- Text Us! @ 406-962-0756
- Request book and audio-visual materials loans - The MSU Library will retrieve and deliver physical materials from the circulating collection to MSU affiliated users. To request a loan, after logging into CatSearch, select “Place Hold” in an item’s record. You will have the option to pick the item at the Library or we can mail it to you.
- Interlibrary loans (ILL) - The library is providing interlibrary loans of physical items and electronic interlibrary loan of digital items including those requiring scanning.
- Return Physical Items, Due Dates, and Fines -
The book drop at the front doors of the library building will remain in place. We will be accepting returns of physical items there or in the book return bin located in the lobby. Returned items will be quarantined.
You may also mail your items back to the library:
U.S. Mail: Montana State University Library, P.O. box 173320, Bozeman, MT 59717-3320.
UPS or FedEx: Montana State University Library, 144 Renne Library, Centennial Mall, Bozeman, MT 59717-3320.
Fines or fees accrued on any MSU owned items due to COVID-19 related circumstances may be waived.
During this time of uncertainty we remain committed to helping faculty, staff, and students access and apply information. Below are links to library resources to help users with off-site access.
- Using and discovering library resources: https://www.lib.montana.edu/services/information-access/discover/
- CatSearch, MSU Library's discovery platform that provides a single access point to most of the Library's collections: https://guides.lib.montana.edu/catsearch-help
- Accessing library resources while off campus: https://www.lib.montana.edu/services/information-access/discover/off-campus-access/
- NEW! Library Research and Instruction Guide, containing timely information to assist with faculty and student access to library resources during the transition to online learning: https://guides.lib.montana.edu/libraryresearch
- Technologies for checkout, including Laptops, iPads, and Wifi HotSpots: https://www.lib.montana.edu/request/tech-checkouts/
- Online resources: https://www.lib.montana.edu/resources/
- Online resource shortcut: https://www.lib.montana.edu/online-resources-shortcut/
- Montana Library 2 Go, offers many resources including eBooks:https://guides.lib.montana.edu/Library2Go
- New York Times:https://guides.lib.montana.edu/ny-times
- Acoustic Atlas: relieve stress by taking some time to listen to the sounds of nature at the Acoustic Atlas
Please contact us for more information.