Publishing reproductions from our collections:
The fees below are assessed in addition to reproduction costs. Payment of fees may be delayed until publication. A processing fee of $3.00 is added to each order per $100.00 increment. Non-profit institutions are eligible for a 30% discount.
Important: All users purchasing reproductions for any reason other than personal use must submit an Application for Permission to Publish form below. Requests for re-publication, reuse, or changes in use must be submitted in writing.
- Application for Permission to Publish (available in pdf or rtf formats—PDF requires the freely available Adobe Acrobat Reader).
- 1 - 4,999 print run $15 per image
- 5,000 - 9,999 print run $20 per image
- 10,000 - 49,999 print run $40 per image
- 50,000 print run and over $85 per image
- 1 - 4,999 eBook run $15 per image
- 5,000 - 9,999 eBook run $20 per image
- 10,000 - 49,999 eBook run $40 per image
- 50,000 eBook run and over $85 per image
- 1 - 49,999 circulation $20 per image
- 50,000 - 99,999 circulation $40 per image
- Over 100,000 circulation $85 per image*
* Fees cover one-time use, in one publication, in one language, and distribution only in North America or in one country. For one-time worldwide distribution in one or more languages, double the fees listed above. The same fees apply to subsequent editions.
Advertising and Promotion
- Local (Montana) $85 per image
- Regional $110 per image
- North American $160 per image
- Worldwide $800 per image
Commercial Decorative Use or Display
- 8x10" and under $20 per image
- 11x14" and over $40 per image
Commercial Films, Television, Videos, CD Rom, DVD, World Wide Web:**
- Local $20 per image
- North American $40 per image
- Worldwide $50 per image
** Worldwide rights for all media in perpetuity are $100 per photograph.
For any commercial use not specified above, fees will be negotiated. All materials are the property of Merrill G. Burlingame Special Collections. Material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17 U.S. Code).
[Name of document or photograph], [Year if available], [Collection title], Box [Box number], Folder [Folder number], Merrill G. Burlingame Special Collections.
Need additional information?
Information on our policies for requesting surrogates of manuscript or photographic materilals can be found on our Reproductions page.
If you have additional questions regarding publishing reproductions from our collections, please contact:
Phone: (406) 994-4242
Adopted June 25, 2014