Collection 2518 - Twin Bridges Post Office Records, 1891-1907
Creator: Twin Bridges Post Office (Twin Bridges, Mont.)
Provenance Note: Record books maintained by the United States Post Office at Twin Bridges, Montana were transferred to Special Collections from the University of Montana Archives and Special Collections on June 5, 2009.
Historical Note: The town of Twin Bridges, Montana was established in Madison County around 1865 by the Lott family. The settlement was first known as "The Bridges," named for the bridges built across the Beaverhead and Big Hole rivers. The Lotts constructed and improved roads, in addition to donating land for settlement and public buildings. The town got its first post office in 1869. In 1884 the mail service was reorganized and Twin Bridges became a distribution point, served by three daily stagecoaches from Virginia CIty, Dillion and Whitehall. By 1889 stagecoach service was discontinued with the construction of the Northern Pacific Railroad. In 1887 Giblert B. Wheat was appointed postmaster, followed by Gardiner A. Pease in 1896 and Lynn Comfort in 1901.
Content Description Note: The Twin Bridges Post Office records consist of three volumes: one cash book with entries from July 8, 1891 to June 30, 1894; one register of money orders issued, July 14, 1891 to August 27, 1896; one register of money orders issued, September 1891 to November 30, 1907.
- Box 1
- Postmasters cash book, July 8, 1891 - June 30, 1894
- Postmasters register of money orders isssued, July 14, 1891 - August 27, 1891
- Postmasters register of money orders isssued, September 1891 - November 30, 1907