Collection 2421 - Hamilton Presbyterian Church records, 1871-1904
Creator: Hamilton Presbyterian Church (Hamilton, Gallatin County, Mont.)
Provenance Note: The Hamilton Presbyterian Church Congregational Records were donated to Special Collections by the Museum of the Rockies on December 18, 1984. It was formerly part of accession number 2129.
Historical Note: By 1865 a community called Hamilton was established as a stage stop near present day Manhattan. A post office opened in 1868. The town boasted of a school, blacksmith, a general store, and no saloons in addition to the Presbyterian Church. In 1883 the town moved closer to the railroad and was renamed Moreland. The town was later renamed Manhattan. The first pastor of the church was Sheldon Jackson, Superintendent of Territorial Missions in 1872.
Content Description Note: The Hamilton Presbyterian Church Congregational records contain meeting minutes of the church from 1872 to 1904. Also included in the records is a handwritten copy of a petition to end the Hamilton church in order to create the Central Park Presbyterian Church.
- Box 1
- 1. Hamilton Presbyterian Church Congregational Records, 1872-1904
- 2. Hamilton Presbyterian Church Congregational Records, 1901