Collection 2318 - Montana Agricultural Statistics Press Releases, 1920-1982
Creator: United States. Dept. of Agriculture
Provenance Note: Mimeographed press releases from a variety of reporting agencies were collected by Montana State University from March 13, 1920 through May 7, 1982.
Content Description Note: The compilation of Montana agricultural statistics has been shared by a variety of federal and state agencies over the years, but almost all efforts were overseen by the United States Department of Agriculture in one form or another. The press releases in this collection include those from agencies who were concerned primarily with crop and livestock production. The name of the issuing body and titles vary throughout, and as a result they were gathered by Montana State University library personnel in the order received. Some of the 'titles' are fairly consistent and could be gathered together as 'serials' but others although on the same general topics, have quite varying titles. There seem to be some related but distinctive separate serials that have been interfiled within this group; some of those are listed at the end of these notes but there could be others. PLEASE NOTE also that later issues (1982?+) of some of these titles have already been cataloged as serials from the later issuing body, Montana Agricultural Statistics Service.
Issuing Body Changes and Title:
These are the major changes but there are other variations within each date.
- Mar. 13, 1920-June 1, 1921 - United States. Department of Agriculture. Bureau of Crop Estimates. (Office of Field Agent and Office of Agricultural Statistician sometimes were included and sometimes neither was included.)
- July 1,1921-Nov. 12, 1925 - Montana Cooperative Crop Reporting Service (United States. Department of Agriculture. Bureau of Markets and Crop Estimates. cooperating with Montana State College. Extension Service. and Montana. State Department of Agriculture, Labor and Industry). Also Montana Cooperative Crop and Livestock Reporting Service was used and some had neither; on some (State and Federal) was included.
- Dec. 1925-Feb. 1926 - varying names
- Montana Agriculture Statistics:
- Mar. 1926-Aug. 1930 - United States. Department of Agriculture. Bureau of Agricultural Economics. Division of Crop (&) (and) Livestock Estimates and Montana. State Department of Agriculture. The Division of State Publicity was sometimes included with the latter name and sometimes not.
- Sept. 1930-June 1939 - State-Federal Crop Reporting Service. Office of the Agricultural Statistician but not consistently; sometimes it was just United States. Department of Agriculture. Bureau of Agricultural Economics. (and sometimes Office of the Agricultural Statistician alone).
- July 1, 1939-Feb. 1942 - United States. Department of Agriculture. Agricultural Marketing Service
- Mar. 1942-June 15, 1945 - United States. Department of Agriculture. Bureau of Agricultural Economics. Office of the Agricultural Statistician
- June 23, 1945-Nov. 1953 - Montana Federal Agricultural Statistical Service
- Dec. 1953- Montana Crop (") (and) Livestock Reporting Service (United States. Department of Agriculture. Agricultural Marketing Service and Montana. Department of Agriculture. Agricultural Statistics)
- Montana Crop Report was on the earlier reports and also Montana Crop and Livestock Report but the former was predominantly used and appears to run through all the years. Annual livestock report, Montana annual crop summary and December crop report, Montana Apple Report and Montana Potato Report were also earlier titles used. Among the many other titles: Pig Crop Report, Montana Range and Livestock Report, Montana Farm Prices, Montana Honey Report, Montana Hatchery Report, Montana Lamb Report, Montana Crop Statistics by Counties, Wheat Utilization, Alfalfa Seed, Agricultural Prices, etc.
- These are the related but distinctive serials that may have been interfiled with this collection:
- Montana Dairy Products Report fairly consistently issued from the Montana Cooperative Dairy Reporting Service first and then jointly from USDA. Bureau of Agricultural Economics and Montana. State Department of Agriculture. Dairy Division
- Montana Quarterly Grain Stocks Report issued by USDA. Bureau of Agricultural Economics. Office of Agricultural Statistician and later including the Montana. State Department of Agriculture. Grain Division.
- Weather-Crop Report and all its varying earlier titles is already a separately cataloged title in S600.62.M9W42@Special Collections
- Weekly Station Reports of the Division of Dry Land Agriculture from the Bureau of Plant Industry, U. S. Department of Agriculture
- It is possible that distinctive serials may be removed from this collection in the future for separate cataloging. The documents have been chronologically arranged.
- Box 1. 1920-1940
- Box 2. 1941-1949
- Box 3. 1950-1955
- Box 4. 1956-1961
- Box 5. 1962-1966
- Box 6. 1967-1971
- Box 7. 1972-1977
- Box 8. 1978-1982