Collection 2076 - Carl Figgins Papers, 1918-1936
Creator: Figgins, Carl, 1887-1978
Provenance Note: The Carl Figgins papers were donated to Special Collections by his daughter Wilma Nixon and Nick Shrauger in the winter of 1978.
Historical Note: Carl Figgins, the son of Mr. and Mrs. William Figgins, was born on October 15, 1887. He received his education in Iowa, and after marrying Cecil Herrell in 1908, he moved to Bozeman. Carl and Cecil had four children: Wilma, Violet, Evelyn, and William. Figgins was a blacksmith and rancher in the Bozeman area. In 1918, he opened a blacksmith shop. He conducted business at 31 W. Mendenhall for almost twenty years. His son, William C. Figgins, assisted Carl during the mid 1930s and eventually took over the shop in 1937. After Carl's first wife died in 1937, he married Annie May Biering in November 1938. Carl Figgins died at the age of 90 on September 26, 1978 and was buried at Sunset Hills Cemetery in Bozeman.
Content Description Note: The Carl Figgins papers consist of eleven ledger account books, one daybook, and several receipts and business papers. The account books keeps track of the financial records of his blacksmith business according to customer. The daybook lists work done each day and customer records were transferred to the account books.
- Box 1
- 1. Daybook, 1929
- 2. Receipts and Business Papers, 1919-1921
- 3. Receipts and Business Papers, 1920-1936
- 4. Ledger Account Book, 1918-1920
- 5. Ledger Account Book, 1921-1922
- Box 2
- 1. Ledger Account Book, 1923
- 2. Ledger Account Book, 1924
- 3. Ledger Account Book, 1925
- 4. Ledger Account Book, 1925-1926
- Box 3
- 1. Ledger Account Book, 1927
- 2. Ledger Account Book, 1928
- 3. Ledger Account Book, 1929
- 4. Ledger Account Book, 1931
- 5. Ledger Account Book, 1933