Collection 38 - Ferris Family Papers, 1874-1926
Creator: Ferris family
Provenance Note: This collection of Ferris family records incorporates accession numbers 29, 403, and 2189. Accession number 29 was donated by Dorothy Ferris Ellerd and Elizabeth Ferris Purdum. In 1966 Mrs. Jack Lovelace donated accession number 403, the letters of Margaret Ferris and the Museum of the Rockies transferred accession number 2189 to Special Collections in 1985.
Historical Note: In 1874 Eddy and Maggie Ferris were married in Corinne, Utah. Originally from northern New York, Eddy Franklin Ferris was a partner of Sebree, Ferris, and White; bankers and dealers in hardware and agricultural implements. Ferris's business followed the construction route of the Utah and Northern Railroad. The business required frequent moves along the construction line. In 1880 the couple moved to Red Rock (Present-day Dillon) in hopes of settling down. However, both the climate and the environment for permanent settlement was not to their liking and the couple moved to Bozeman in 1882. Once in Bozeman, Eddy Ferris opened a store and built the Bon Ton Building. In the 1890's Eddy's brother, E. Myron Ferris moved into the area and eventually purchased the Matthews Hot Springs. Ferris built onto the property and for several years owned and operated the Ferris Hot Springs Hotel. In 1908 Eddy Ferris died.
Content Description Note: The Ferris Family records include, guest ledgers for the Ferris Hot Springs Hotel, legal and financial documents pertaining to real estate and the Ferris store in Utah, transcribed correspondence written by Maggie Ferris to her mother and sister, promotional brochures for Ferris Hot Springs and the Gallatin Valley, and photographs of Ferris family members and friends.
|Series 1||Ferris Hot Springs Hotel Guest ledgers, 1891-1894|
Ledgers listing names of individual registrants at the Ferris Hot Springs Hotel. Information includes residence of the registrant and date.
|Series 2||Financial Documents, 1880-1902|
Homestead land deeds for individuals other than members of the Ferris family; a receipt from Ferris business in Utah; typewritten list of purchasers of tracts of land at the Ferris Hot Springs.
|Series 3||Printed Material, 1892-1926|
Various promotional brochures for land sales and tourism in the Gallatin Valley and Montana.
|Series 4||Correspondence, 1874-1882|
Typed transcript copies of letters written by Maggie Ferris from originals owned by Mrs. Jack Lovelace of Bozeman, Montana.
Copies of original photographs of Ferris family members and friends and Ferris Hot Springs
- Box 1
- 1. Guest Ledger from Ferris Hot Springs Hotel, June 25, 1891-Sept. 1, 1893
- 2. Guest Ledger from Ferris Hot Springs Hotel, April 9, 1994-Sept. 15, 1894
- Box 2
- 1. Homestead Land Deed of Charles A. Sales, 1902
- 2. Homestead Land Deed of Charles L. Davies, 1890
- 3. Homestead Land Deed of Caldwell Edwards, 1891
- 4. Business receipt from Sebree, Ferris and Holt, 1880
- 5. List of Bozeman Hot Springs tracts sold
- Box 2 (cont.)
- 6. Tourism pamphlets and brochures for Bozeman and the Gallatin Valley. Includes: "Ferris' Hot Springs: The Carlsbad of America (1892)," "On the Yellowstone Trail, Where to Spend Your Vacation," Bozeman, Montana Illustrated," "Bozeman in the Rockies," and "A Summer in the Gallatin."
- 7. Pamphlets and brochures pertaining to Montana and the Gallatin Valley. Includes: "Facts About Montana (1926)," "The Famous Gallatin Valley in Gallatin County Montana," and "Bozeman the Beautiful."
- 8. Memorial program for the funeral of Eddy Franklin Ferris, 1908.
- Box 2 (cont.)
- 9. Letters by Maggie Ferris sent from Utah, 1874-1880
- 10. Letters by Maggie Ferris sent from Red Rock (Dillon), Montana, 1880-1881
- 11. Letter by Maggie Ferris sent from San Francisco, California, 1878
- 12. Letters by Maggie Ferris sent from Idaho, 1878-1879
- 13. Letter by Maggie Ferris sent from Wisconsin, 1882
- Box 2 (cont.)
- 14. Two copies of photograph 1 showing various members of Ferris family and friends.
- 15. Photos 2 and 3. E. Myron Ferris
- 16. Photos 4 and 5. Walkway on Ferris Hot Springs
- 17. Photos 6 and 7. Chisholm's Camp at Hyalite group picture. Those pictured includes, Julia Martin, Fred Wilson, and Colonel Chisholm
- 18. Photograph 8. Mr. and Mrs. E. Myron Ferris and friends at an outdoor gathering
- 19. Photograph 9. Portrait of Maggie and Eddy Ferris (six copies)
- 20. Photograph 10. Portrait of Maggie Ferris
- 21. Photograph 11. Portrait of Eddy Ferris
- 22. Negatives for photographs 1-8