Photograph Duplication Policy
Montana State University has no on-campus facility for the photographic reproduction of original prints, slides, and negatives in the holdings of the Merrill G. Burlingame Special Collections. However, Special Collections can offer digital rendering of such materials which researchers may subsequently manipulate into formats suitable for computer monitor display, paper prints, or web-based presentations. Of course, any such manipulation of Special Collections materials is subject to the standard copyright restrictions of Title 17, U. S. Code, and in some cases, special fees will be charged for use permission. Before any publication of Special Collections material, conventional or digital, researchers should formally request permission from the University Archivist.
For digital copies of photographs or textual images, researchers must complete and sign a request form indicating the specifications for the scanned data. Unless otherwise requested, standard setting are 600 dpi at 8 bit grayscale or 24 bit RGB for color, and storage as a TIFF file. The fee for scanning is $2.50 per file/image, with an additional charge of $2.00 for a blank compact disk. Shipping and handling for mail orders require a $3.00 charge as well. All orders for scanning will be taken by Special Collections, scanned, transferred to CD ROMs, and then prepared for billing and/or for shipping.
How to order photograph duplicates:
- You must download and print an application for research privileges (available in pdf or rtf formats. PDF requires the freely available Adobe Acrobat Reader).
- Photographs copy request form (available in pdf or rtf formats. PDF requires the freely available Adobe Acrobat Reader).
It will be necessary for you to fill out the application for research privileges completely, with your signature and date. For the photograph duplication request form you must make sure you fill out all the information on the top of the form, including your name, shipping address, and telephone number. The form must be signed and dated where indicated. On the bottom half of the form you must indicate the collection name, the collection number, and each box number, folder number, and folder title from which you desire copies. We are sorry but we do not have the resources or personnel to analyze the contents of folders for your copy requests beyond the information already provided in the finding aid.
Once you have completed filling out the required forms, you can mail them to us for processing. We will not accept orders submitted by email or orders without signatures. Orders of a substantial cost will be billed in advance of shipping, otherwise a bill will accompany your order when it is shipped.
Our mailing address is:
MSU Library Special Collections
Bozeman, MT 59717-3320
Special Collections cannot assume responsibility for producing photographic quality prints from raw data. It is the responsibility of the researcher to take the raw data on the disk and render it into the format they require. A wide variety of local and online commercial vendors are available for these services.
Publishing reproductions from our collections:
The fees below are assessed in addition to reproduction costs. Payment of fees may be delayed until publication.
Important: All users purchasing reproductions for any reason other than personal use must submit an Application for Permission to Publish (PDF) form. Requests for re-publication, reuse, or changes in use must be submitted in writing.
Books (For Profit):*
- Under 5,000 print run $15 per image
- 5,000 - 9,999 print run $20 per image
- 10,000 - 49,999 print run $40 per image
- 50,000 print run and over $85 per image
Periodicals/Serials (For Profit):*
- Under 50,000 circulation $20 per image
- 50,000 - 99,999 circulation $40 per image
- Over 100,000 circulation $85 per image*
* Fees cover one-time use, in one publication, in one language, and distribution only in North America or in one country. For one-time worldwide distribution in one or more languages, double the fees listed above. The same fees apply to subsequent editions.
Advertising and Promotion
- Local (Montana) $85 per image
- Regional $110 per image
- North American $160 per image
- Worldwide $800 per image
Commercial Decorative Use or Display
- 8x10" and under $20 per image
- 11x14" and over $40 per image
Commercial Films, Television, Videos, CD Rom, DVD, World Wide Web:**
- Local $20 per image
- North American $40 per image
- Worldwide $50 per image
** Worldwide rights for all media in perpetuity are $100 per photograph.
For any commercial use not specified above, fees will be negotiated. All materials are the property of Merrill G. Burlingame Special Collections. Material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17 U.S. Code).
Adopted June 25, 2014
Rev. 2017 October 20