Collection 2594 - Bob Jacklin Papers, 1997-2014 :: Montana State University Libraries
Creator: Jacklin, Bob, 1945-
Provenance Note: The papers of Bob Jacklin were donated by Bob Jacklin on December 11, 2014. Selected DVDs and a text accompanying the donation were cataloged separately.
Historical Note: Bob Jacklin was born in1945 in New Jersey. Jacklin arrived in West Yellowstone in 1967. A self-taught fly fisherman, his skills and knowledge of fly fishing were enhanced through employment at Bud Lilly's Trout Shop and Jim Danskin's Tackle Shop; he opened Jacklin's Fly Shop in 1974. Jacklin is a member of the St. Croix Rod Company Advisory Team, the Ross Reel Pro Staff, the Whiting Farms Pro Staff, and is a contract fly tier for the Umpqua Feather Merchants. He is a member of the Federation of Fly Fishers, Central Jersey Chapter of Trout Unlimited, a member of Anglers Club of New York, and of the Theodore Gordon Fly Fishers. Jacklin is active in fisheries conservation and preserving the fly fishing heritage of the Greater Yellowstone region. In 2004, he was inducted into the Fly Fishing Hall of Fame.
Jacklin is a certified casting instructor with the American Casting Association and a master certified fly casting instructor with the Federation of Fly Fishers. Jacklin authored articles in the Big Sky Journal, Flyfisher, and Fly Tyer magazine; he is also co-author of Fly Fishing in the Yellowstone in the Park. Producer of several videos, his titles include Yellowstone Patterns, Introduction to Fly-tying with Bob Jacklin, Fly Casting, and Classic Flies and Their Stories.
Content Description Note: The Bob Jacklin Papers includes catalogs, clippings, poetry, article manuscripts, as well as published articles. Topics include fly fishing, fly tying, fly rods, and fisheries conservation. Locations discussed include West Yellowstone, Montana; Big Sky, Montana; Livingston, Montana; Yellowstone National Park, the Yellowstone River, Madison River, Henry's Fork, the Missouri River, and the Gallatin River. Names of interest include Lee Wulff, Bud Lilly, Dan Bailey, and Sylvester Nemes.
|Series 1||Catalogs and Clippings, 2003-2012|
|Series 2||Literary Productions, 1997-2014|
Items included in this series consist of catalogs and newspaper clippings pertaining to, or collected by Jacklin.
- Box 1
- 1. Jacklin′s Fly Shop. Outfitter's for the World of Fly Fishing.
- 2. Jim Vincent's Rio, 2003
- 3. Newspaper Clippings, 2008 and 2012
Materials in this series comprise a published article and an article manuscript pertaining to Bob Jacklin. Also included in this series is poetry, article manuscripts, and published articles authored by Jacklin. Folder 7 in Box 1 contains a certificate from The National Library of Poetry for the publication of 'A Fisherman Reflects. (A Tribute to Lee Wulff.)'
- Box 1 (Cont.)
- 4. 'Celebrity Interview. Bob Jacklin: a Western Legend.' By Chris Marshall.
- 5. 'Jacklin's Chagrin. One big, big fish changes the course of a career-angler's life for better or worse.' By Greg Thomas. Big Sky Journal – 2007
- 6. Tie One On, Giant Salmon Fly. Montana Sporting Journal – Spring 2010
- 7. A Fisherman Reflects. (A Tribute to Lee Wulff.), 1997
- 8. 'The Story of a Fenwick Fiberglass Fly Rod.'
- 9. 'A Conclave Fly-Fishing Sampler.' Yellowstone Fly Fishing: Traditions, Legends, Future – August 2004
- 10. 'A Fly Fishing Sampler.' The National Fly Fishing Fair and Conclave - 2011
- 11. 'A Fly Fishing Sampler': Fall Fishing the Yellowstone Area.' International Fly Fishing Fair - 2013
- 12. 'Homewaters. Reflections of a Charter Member: FFF Conclave and Fly Fishing Show, August 8, 2001, Livingston, Montana.' Flyfisher – Fall 2001
- 13. 'A Proven Pattern for the Late Summer in the West.' Flyfisher - Spring–Summer 2014
- 14. 'The Widow's Pool. Pay-and-fish in brook trout heaven.' Big Sky Journal – 2009
Updated: 2014 December 15