Collection 2441 - Harry B. Mitchell Papers, 1953-1965
Creator: Mitchell, Harry B. (Harry Browning), 1933-
Provenance Note: The Harry B. Mitchell papers were donated to Special Collections on April 29, 2002 by Tom Palmer of the Information Department of the Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks Department.
Historical Note: Harry B. Mitchell was a member of the Junior Chamber of Commerce (Jaycees) from Great Falls, Montana. In the fall of 1962, he became the co-chairman of the Legislative Committee for the Montana State Jaycees. He spent the next 2 years promoting the protection of the natural waterways of Montana, especially fishing habitat, from damage by road construction and hydraulic activities. The Jaycees created a Conservation Committee in 1963 and Mitchell served as its chair. He was honored for his work with a 1963 American Motors Company Non-professional Conservation Award.
Content Description Note: The Mitchell papers have been divided into three series. Series one one contains materials created or collected by Mitchell while serving as co-chair of the Jaycees Legislative Committee in 1962. Mitchell's work on the committee related to the development of Substitute Senate Bill 45, passed on March 11, 1963, a state bill protecting fishing waters from highway construction. Papers include correspondence, brochures, pamphlets, newspaper articles, government documents, working papers, legislative lists, a photo story showing results of stream bed alterations, a slide presentation and slides promoting the bill, draft bills and the final version of the bill. Series two contains materials created or collected by Mitchell while serving as the chair of the Conservation Committee of the Jaycees. These papers relate to the committee's efforts to introduce a similar Federal bill to protect fishing waters. Papers include correspondence, newspaper articles, broadsides, state reports and official interdepartmental correspondence between Federal departments involved. These papers relate to the Jaycees continuing advocacy of the Stream Preservation Act of 1963 (SSB #45), Clean Water campaign, and the controversies over Federal construction plans for Interstate Highway I-15 along the Missouri River near Wolf Point, Montana. Series three contains the program, congratulatory letters, recommendations, newspaper clippings, and correspondence related to the awarding of a 1963 American Motors Non-Professional Conservation Award to Harry B. Mitchell.
|Series 1||Montana Junior Chamber of Commerce Legislative Committee, 1953-1963|
|Series 2||Montana Junior Chamber of Commerce Conservation Committee, 1963-1964|
|Series 3||American Motors Conservation Award, 1963|
Papers created or collected by Harry Mitchell in his work as co-chair of the Jaycees Legislative Committee, especially pertaining to the campaign for Senate Substitute Bill #45. Materials that predate Mitchell's term on the committee represent research on the issue that he gathered.
- Box 1
- 1. Originals or photocopies of correspondence, April 2, 1962 - April 8, 1963
- 2. Newspaper clippings, transcripts of radio broadcasts and editorials
- 3. Plans and time-line of campaign
- 4. Slide show outline and slides
- 5. Perry Nelson photo book
- 6. Pamphlets, reports, journal articles
- 7. Water court and legislative papers: hearings, directories, roll call, draft bills, vote summary, and final bill
Papers created or collected by Mitchell as chair of the Jaycees Conservation Committee, especially in advocating federal legislation to protect fishing waters during the construction of interstate highways.
- Box 1 (cont.)
- 8. Originals or photocopies of correspondence, June 7 - Dec 19, 1963
- 9. Originals or photocopies of correspondence, Jan 23 - May 27, 1964
- 10. Conservation Committee stream preservation papers
- 11. Papers and correspondence: campaign for Federal legislation
- 12. Additional Jaycee Conservation Committee project papers 1963-1964
- Box 2
- 1. I-15 on Missouri River road controversy
- 2. I-15 on Missouri River road controversy (cont.)
- 3. "Report on Supplemental Location Study in Gary Cooper Ranch Vicinity," State of Montana Highway Department, Feb 17, 1964
Papers, correspondence, newspaper clippings, and memorabilia for the 1963 American Motors conservation Award.
- Box 2 (cont.)
- 4. American Motors Conservation Award binder