Collection 532 - Abbott-Stuart-Matejcek family papers, 1894-1939
Creator: Abbott, E. C. (Edward Charles), 1860-1939
Provenance Note: Business records, personal papers, and photographs pertaining to the Abbott-Stuart-Matejcek families of Montana were loaned for copying by Mrs. Mary Matejcek of Lewistown, Montana, in the fall of 1967.
Historical Note: Edward C. (Teddy Blue) Abbott was born in England in 1860 and came to America where he learned the trade of the cowboy. He arrived in Montana in 1883 after helping drive a cattle herd from Texas. Teddy Blue eventually settled near Lewistown (Fergus County) Montana where he established his own ranch. He married in 1889 Mary Stuart, daughter of Montana pioneer Granville Stuart. The couple had nine children. One of their daughters, Mary Abbott, married Albert Matejcek and is the donor of this collection. Teddy Blue lived until 1939 and in that year published a book of his cattle driving days, We Pointed Them North; Recollections of a Cowpuncher. Mary Stuart Abbott died in 1967.
Content Description Note: The papers consist of positive photocopies of business and personal papers collected or created by Teddy Blue, Mary Stuart Abbott, Granville Stuart, and Mary Abbott Matejcek. In addition to the papers are copy photographs of originals owned by Mrs. Matejcek which pertain to the Abbott, Stuart, and Matejcek families, including: portraits of Teddy Blue, Mary Stuart Abbott, and their children; views of the Abbott ranch; portraits of several Stuart children; views of the Matejcek farm near Lewistown, taken by photographer Cook Reynolds, circa 1915-1922, which show big teams at work plowing and harvesting; an interior view of the Matejcek saloon in Roundup, Montana, ca. 1913; a view of the Overland School taken around the turn of the century.
- Box 1
- 1. Clippings and business papers about Mary Abbott Stuart, 1900-1939.
- 2. Letters, hunting licenses, vehicle registration of E.C. Abbott, 1908-1909.
- 3. Business papers, E.C. and Mary Abbott, 1890-1937
- 4. Copies of correspondence between Granville Stuart and James Fergus sent to E.C. Abbott by Oscar O. Mueller; songs written by E.C. Abbott; diary of E.C. Abbott, 1899.
- 5. Abbott/Stuart photographs, #1-8
- #1. E.C. Abbott, April 15, 1887
- #2. E.C. Abbott, August 23, 1930
- #3. Mary Stuart Abbott, ca. 1960
- #4. Mary Stuart Abbott, ca. 1960
- #5. Mary Stuart Abbott, April 11, 1965
- #6. Abbott family, 1902
- #7. E.C. and Mary Stuart Abbott, ca. 1910
- #8. Katie Abbott
- 6. Abbott/Stuart photographs, #9-14
- #9. Bob Stuart, n.d.
- #10. Harry Stuart, n.d.
- #11. Irene Stuart, n.d.
- #12. Abbott ranch, n.d.
- #13. Turkey flock, Abbott ranch, n.d.
- #14. Overland School (Fergus County?), n.d.
- 7. Matejcek photographs, #15-22
- #15. Mr. and Mrs. Frank Matejcek, July 5, 1920
- #16. Matejcek saloon, Roundup, Montana, ca. 1913
- #17. Matejcek ranch, Fergus County
- #18. Albert Hruska on horse-drawn plow, ca. 1910
- #19. Load of bundles at threshing time, ca. 1910
- #20. Plowing, ca. 1910
- #21. Frank Matejcek plowing at Coffee Creek, ca. 1913
- #22. Frank Matejcek and hay crew at Coffee Creek, ca. 1913
- 8. Matejcek photographs, #23-27
- #23-27. Frank Matejcek disking on Piper Ranch, ca. 1922
- 9. Negatives for images #1, 2, and 15-27