Collection 95 - Marian T. Place Papers, 1951-1963
Creator: Place, Marian T. (Marian Templeton), 1910-
Provenance Note: Literary manuscripts, galleys, and other papers created by Marian T. Place were donated to Special Collections by her in 1964.
Historical Note: Marian T. (Templeton) Place (1910-2006) was born on October 14, 1910, in Gary, Indiana. She was the daughter of Clarence R. and Lillian R. (Farrell) Templeton and married Howard Thirloway Place in 1936. She wrote some forty children's books in addition to assorted magazine articles for Montana: The Magazine of Western History. Many of Place's books encompassed the American West (or historical fact); however, towards the end of her career she also delved into the area of thrillers. Place received multiple awards for her writings. Under the pseudonym Dale White, Place received several Spur Awards from the Western Writers of America for her books including Steamboat up the Missouri in 1958 and Hold Back the Hunter in 1959. Place was also awarded the Mark Twain Award for The Boy Who Saw Bigfoot in 1982. She died in Arizona in 2006.
Content Description Note: The materials in this collection comprise the rough drafts, gallery proofs, and book cover[s] relating to Place's work. It also includes minimal correspondence, clippings, and photographic images of awards that she received for two of her stories. The material demonstrates Place's creative process as a writer (editing, writing, various draft forms), her interaction with publishing companies (e.g. galley proofs), as well as acknowledgment of her writing efforts. The collection exemplifies her diversity in pen names as well; these range from her known pen name (Dale White), as well as her alternate pen name, R. D. Whitinger. Arrangement of the files is alphabetic, with the exception of the correspondence which has been chronologically arranged.
|Series 1||Manuscript drafts|
|Series 2||Correspondence and clippings|
|Series 4||Galleys and dust jackets|
Series one comprises Place's draft copies of selected book manuscripts. The drafts have some evidential value in demonstrating her writing and editing process. The manuscript drafts also represent Place's use of various pseudonyms. The drafts have been arranged in alphabetical order by title of the work.
- Box 1
- 1. Buckskins and Buffalo: The Story of the Yellowstone River
- 2. Buckskins and Buffalo: The Story of the Yellowstone River
- 3. Copper Kings of Montana
- 4. Copper Kings of Montana
- 5. Copper Kings of Montana
- 6. Copper Kings of Montana
- 7. Fast Draw Tilghman
- 8. Fast Draw Tilghman
- 9. Fast Draw Tilghman
- 10. Fast Draw Tilghman
- 11. Hold Back the Hunter
- 12. Hold Back the Hunter
- 13. John Wesley Powell: Canyon's Conqueror
- 14. John Wesley Powell: Canyon's Conqueror
- 15. John Wesley Powell: Geologist-Explorer
- 16. John Wesley Powell: Geologist-Explorer
- 17. John Wesley Powell: Geologist-Explorer
- Box 2
- 1. Lotta Crabtree, Gold Rush Girl
- 2. Lotta Crabtree, Gold Rush Girl
- 3. Our Earth: Geology and Geologists
- 4. Our Earth: Geology and Geologists
- 5. Our Earth: Geology and Geologists
- 6. Steamboat up the Missouri
- 7. Steamboat up the Missouri
- 8. Steamboat up the Missouri
- 9. Tall Timber Pilots
- 10. Tall Timber Pilots
- 11. Tall Timber Pilots
- 12. Young Deputy Smith
- 13. Young Deputy Smith
- 14. Young Deputy Smith
Series two includes clippings discussing Place's assorted publishing achievements and some of her correspondence relating to her manuscripts.
- Box 2 (cont.)
- 15. Clippings [1959-1961]
- 16. Correspondence 1961-1962
Images of Place's Spur Awards for Steamboat up the Missouri and Hold Back the Hunter.
- Box 2 (cont.)
- 17. Photographs #1-2
Three of Place's manuscript drafts in pre-publication form. All bear some editing marks, either done by Place herself or her editors.
- Box 3
- 1. Copper Kings of Montana [galleys]
- 2. Our Earth: Geology and Geologists [galleys]
- 3. Tall Timber Pilots [galleys]