Library Accounts FAQ
The Library implemented Web Single-Sign-On (WebSSO) during August 2011 for Library accounts and applications which require Login. WebSSO is implemented for Study room reservations, Interlibrary Loan, Reserves, Library Catalog, and off-campus access to Electronic Journals and Articles (Proxy server).
Library Accounts: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- What are my username and password to log into Library accounts?
- How do I take advantage of WebSSO?
- How do I log out of the Library?
- Do I need to register?
- Who is eligible to use Library accounts?
- What if I get a "cookies" error message?
- What happened to the ILL logon page for other Libraries?
- Where are the ILL FAQs?
- The login page indicates that I am not affiliated or enrolled in the system, why?
- "You've encountered a resource that the MSU Library needs to add to their proxy database in order for it to work correctly" error message.
- "Please tell your server administrator to check ezproxy.msg for a MaxVirtualHosts error" error message
- What if I am accessing library resources from on campus?
- After I log in, I get a security warning indicating that I am about to be redirected to a connection that is not secure. Should I be concerned?
- If you have Juno or NetZero as your Internet Service Provider you will need to adjust your connection settings.
- What if I can not find what I need in MSU Library’s online resources?
- Why did my Library password stop working?
- What if this FAQ page did not answer my question?
- Use these credentials:
NetID (info) - MSU people! Your NetID provides your best access to Desire2Learn, Email/Google Apps, Library, and other MSU online services.
Other options (info) -only if you DON'T have a NetID!
- The simplest way to use Single-Sign-On is to avoid Logout until you are done with Library applications. This can be done by using multiple tabs or windows in your Web browser. When you Logout or Exit Reserves or ILL, you have effectively ended your SSO session. Remember, to completely protect your privacy, you must Logout AND Exit the browser when finished.
- The only way to completely Logout of Library applications is to Logout AND Exit your Web Browser!
- Current MSU students, faculty, professionals, and staff are automatically registered please see #1 above.
- For those people who don't know or don't have a NetID, first.last, Banner/CatCard ID number, including some distance education students, Foundation employees, and government employees on campus, you will need to apply for the Proxy service and your username and password will be emailed to you when your account is approved. To register, please go to the registration page
- MSU students, faculty, professionals, and staff.
- Students must be registered for the current term/semester (including summer) in order to qualify.
- Students who are not registered for the current semester are not eligible, even if they plan to re-enroll next semester. Student Enrollment Policy
- Students who have received an "Incomplete" grade are eligible. Please use this form to notify us: registration page
- New MSU faculty, professionals, and staff may not be in the system until after they get their first paycheck.
- Paid Adjunct, Affiliate, and Emeritus faculty without a Banner ID number must complete a "PTF—Personnel Transaction Form" online at http://www.montana.edu/hr/Payroll/PTFProfessionalwithBgtAdj1.xls for Faculty/Professionals. This process will get you a Banner/CatCard ID to use with the Library accounts. (May take up to 6 weeks for new employees.)
- Classified Staff without a Banner ID will need to have their department's administrative assistant submit information using Electronic Personnel Action Form or EPAF.
- Non-Paid Adjunct, Affiliate, and Emeritus faculty and staff must complete the Courtesy Appointment Form for Non-paid affiliates - http://www.montana.edu/hr/Personnel/Courtesy Appointment Form.pdf. You must still obtain all signatures on this form before receiving your credentials. The form must be submitted to Payroll in Montana Hall.
- Your browser must accept cookies. To enable your web browser to accept cookies for the library's proxy server (in Internet Explorer, this is in the system menu under "Tools/Internet Options/Privacy/Edit/Allow auth.lib.montana.edu/ok"). Or, since browsers accept cookies by default, you can reset to the default in your browser's internet options menu. The Proxy cookie is not used to track your use, but only to let the proxy server know your status. This cookie will disappear when you exit your browser.
- The Logon page is no longer linked from the main logon page, but you can find it here:
Other libraries ILL requests (for other Libraries, NOT MSU affiliated)
- We are re-working our FAQ pages, but right now you can still find them at these links:
- ILLiad FAQ
- Interlibrary Loan FAQ
- There is a "lag-time" between when a student registers for classes, and when the Library Accounts are updated. This should be less than 3 days. Only students that are registered for the current semester are in the Library Accounts database. For non-student employees, if you are adjunct faculty, an intern, emeritus faculty or of a similar status, you may not be in the data we get from the Registrar's office. See FAQ numbers 4 and 5 above for guidance on what to do as an employee who's not in the Library accounts database.
- Let the library know that you've found a resource that hasn't been entered into the library's proxy server. We can fix this—usually within 24 hours, but you need to follow the instructions on the error page and submit the problem to the library. Thank you!
- If you get this error message, the folks at the library need to change the settings on the proxy server. This is not your fault, but it will get fixed more quickly if you report the problem to us. You can report the problem on our proxy help page. Thank you!
- For Electronic Journals and Articles You only need to use the Library accounts Proxy server if you are NOT in the MSU IP Domain. The Proxy server does not require that your browser be configured in any special way to use Library resources from outside the MSU IP Domain.
- Your computer's IP address is 126.96.36.199
- The Bozeman campus domain starts with 153.90 , if the first 5 numbers match, you are on the domain.
- Alternatively, MSU Faculty and Staff with an exchange account can use ITC's Virtual Private Network (VPN)—Windows Setup Instructions or MacIntosh Setup Instructions.
- No, just click Yes to continue.
- The proxy server is set up to use Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology to encrypt your login. Once you successfully log in, the proxy server connects you with the database you selected, which in most cases does not use SSL technology. Your browser then warns you that the site you are being sent to is not using this technology.
- Your information is not retransmitted to the next site.
- If the SpeedBand feature is turned on in Juno, the proxy server may not work for you. Turn off SpeedBand and then log in to the proxy server. Once logged in, you can turn SpeedBand back on for the rest of that browser session.
- If the HiSpeed feature is turned on in NetZero, the proxy server may not work for you.
- Turn off HiSpeed and then log in to the proxy server. Once logged in, you can turn HiSpeed back on for the rest of that browser session.
- A librarian can help you! Just contact the Reference desk at (406) 994-3171 or see the Ask a Librarian page for other contact options.
- Starting in 2012 Fall semester, returning students will have their Library-only credentials expired. Please set up your NetID and password. This provides your best access to Desire2Learn, Email/Google Apps, Library, and other MSU online services. Starting May 6th, 2013, You will be REQUIRED to use your NetID if you have one.
- You can submit a question via our email Reference form.